Tobin Van Ostern
As the Deputy Director for Campus Progress, Tobin oversees the development of policy recommendations and the coordination of government affairs work that leads to their enactment.
Prior to his work at the Center for American Progress, Tobin was the national director of the official student wing of the Obama for America campaign—Students for Barack Obama—as well as a national co-chair of the campaign. In this capacity, he led Students for Barack Obama from its initial launch with 20 chapters in 2006 to over 1,000 chapters nationwide by Election Day in 2008. Tobin enjoys combining his interests in politics and technology in order to better engage young adults in the political process.
Tobin is a graduate of The George Washington University, where he received a B.A. in international affairs and specialized in conflict and security studies. He has been interviewed or written about by the Associated Press, CBS News, CNN, C-SPAN, Fox News, Politico, RealClearPolitics, techPresident, The Hill, The Nation, The Washington Post, and others.
Expertise: Health care, new media, elections, advocacy
Recent articles by this author:
- Proposals to Bring Student Loan Interest Rates Under Control
- Student-Loan Debt Has a Rippling Negative Effect on the Broader Economy
- It’s Our Interest: The Need to Reduce Student Loan Interest Rates
- Congress Should Allow Students to Refinance Their Loans
- Comparing Conservative and Progressive Investment in America’s Youth
- The Student Debt Crisis
- Moving Toward Progressive Solutions for America’s Student Debt
- UPDATED: Senate Announces Deal to Keep Student Interest Rates Low
- REPORT: The Cost of College Will Soar if Interest Rates Allowed to Double
- MAP: Voter Suppression Efforts in Your State
- REPORT: Voter Suppression 101
- Thank You, James O’Keefe, For Proving How Pointless Voter ID Laws Are
- New Evidence of ALEC Connections in All Successful Voter ID Legislation
- Map: Has Your State Passed a Voter ID Law?
- Voter ID Laws 101
- Voter Suppression Alert: FELN & Partners Challenge Photo ID in MO
- Weekly Voter Suppression Update: Vetoes & More
- Iowa Senator Hamerlinck Finally Issues an Apology to Students
- Weekly Voter ID Update: MO Governor Vetoes Photo ID; Will NC Governor Follow Suit?
- Weekly Voter ID Update: Federal Government Weighs In, NH Senate Passes Bill