Jessica Newman is a freelance writer based in Gainesville, Fla., where she co-founded The Fine Print, an alternative student monthly, two years ago. She graduated from the University of Florida with a degree in journalism in the spring of 2010. Before The Fine Print, Jessica worked for The Gainesville Sun and Satellite Magazine as an intern, and she is still involved in the local chapter Veterans for Peace as media coordinator as well as the Civic Media Center as a volunteer and event coordinator.
Recent articles by this author:
- 15 Minutes with Amy Goodman
- La Lucha Sigue (The Fight Continues)
- The Domino Effect: A Brief History of the CIW
- Raised by the Courts: One Judge’s Insight into Juvenile Justice
- Pentagon Report on ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t’ Tell Says Troops Are For Repeal
- From the Paper Mill to the Degree Factory: Who’s to Blame for Plagiarism’s Rise?
- No Fracking Way! Pittsburgh Bans Natural Gas Extraction Within City Limits
- Farm School NYC: The New York City School of Urban Agriculture
- Bicyclists to Get An Interstate System of Their Own
- Five Minutes With Andrew Hacker
- Wal-Mart Goes Local: Good or Bad for Small Farmers?
- Injunction on Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Overturned
- The Long Walk Home: One Barefoot Activist’s Mission to Stop the Veteran Suicide Epidemic
- Google Backs Huge Offshore Wind Farm Project in the Atlantic
- Mass Incarceration and the Cycle of Poverty
- ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ Halted by Federal Court
- Gasland: What’s The Big Fracking Deal?
- Happy Ninth Birthday, Afghanistan War
- Copenhagenize! Best Case Scenario for Bicycles in the U.S.
- ‘Uses of a Whirlwind’ Says Student Activism Isn’t Dead