UC-Davis Pepper Spray Victims Win $1 Million Settlement
The students at the University of California–Davis who were pepper sprayed during an Occupy protest they organized on their campus last fall will receive a $1 million settlement, according to an agreement today.
In addition to the $30,000 that will be given to each of the 21 plaintiffs, the school’s chancellor will give each a personal written apology. The incident, which inspired a meme bringing further attention to the importance of free speech and political engagement, now stands as a memorable moment in the Occupy protests that began just over a year ago.
See the original article here on Pushback.org, the blog of Campus Progress Action
Abraham White is a communications associate at Campus Progress. Follow him on Twitter @abwhite7.
- What Would You Do If Your Kid Was Disabled, Dependent on Medicaid and in Trouble?
- Preventing Domestic Abusers and Stalkers from Accessing Guns
- Need an Abortion in North Korea, No Problem
- How Much Is Enough to Send You Back to Your Parents’ House? [VIDEO]
- It May Seem Silent, But It’s Here and These Students Say It’s Enough