Graphic Journalist Susie Cagle Arrested at Occupy Oakland
Cartoonist Susie Cagle, who has done great work for CampusProgress.org including the infographic An Education in For-Profit Education, was arrested while covering the Occupy Oakland protests. Cagle has since been released, charged with misdemeanor “present at raid.”
Cagle was also tear-gassed last week at the Occupy Oakland site, where she is creating a graphic series documenting the movement for a project funded by Spot.Us.
When police began to arrest protesters, Cagle said she was a member of the media and was wearing press credentials at the time. According to her father’s blog, “one of the Oakland Police Department officers even recognized her and knew her comics.”
She spoke with ABC7 News about the ordeal:
Brian Stewart is the communications manager at Campus Progress.
- Just How Strong Immigration Enforcement Is Now
- Obama Threatens To Veto House Republican’s Student Loan Bill
- Struggling Homeowners, Low-Wage Workers Protest in D.C.
- Coast To Coast, College Sexual Assault Survivors See Gains
- Mass Shootings on the Rise, Even As Violent Crime Falls